Friday, March 13, 2009

Local Food!


Seth is on his way up to watch a King's game this evening and so I thought it was time to fill up the old nut bowl......everyone in this family is nut-addicted! As I was pouring them out onto the cookie sheet to roast it occurred to me how fortunate we are around here to have such abundant and diverse locally grown food. Almonds like these grow up and down the Sacramento Valley...along with most fruits you can imagine ....even most of the rice sold in the U.S. comes from here. The local food movement is one that I feel is a worthy one........besides saving all the resources used to ship food....there's something so satisfying about eating food that comes from land you know and food that's in season. Local strawberries will be the next epicurean delight!! I know...this is easy for me to say ...living within 100 miles of some of the most productive and diverse farmland in the world but, most if not all, places have a fairly large selection of locally grown food.......you just have to figure out how to preserve it so it lasts throughout the year. I recommend a book Denny and Joanie gave me for Xmas...."Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver........you'll never look at your food quite the same way again. I don't know....maybe that's not such a good thing!!!

No comments: