Friday, May 28, 2010

Country Roads !


It was a beautiful morning as Jenny and I set out for our walk this morning. Mostly it was sunny with just a few big billowy clouds blowing around. It smelled so wonderful once I got onto Todd Valley Rd.......the "Mountain Misery" is in bloom and it SO does not deserve that name ! It"s actually one of my favorite scents up here on the Divide......very pungent, but incredibly fresh smelling. Anyhow...I quickly fell into my walking trance.....Ipod headphones on , no other people or cars on the road , beautiful wildflowers everywhere I looked. We quickly reached the two mile turn-around point were I considered to just keep going, but I had tile at home to scrub , bathrooms to clean and floors to mop......so like the good Girl Scout I am....I turned around and headed toward home. The walk home home started out as uneventful and very pleasant......when all of a sudden I heard a loud explosion.....then another. The wind suddenly whipped into a frenzy and big black clouds covered the sky. The next instant there was lightening flashing all around us.......Jenny was freaking out and I just couldn't figure out quite what to do. I know you're not supposed to go under a tree, but there we were on a narrow 10ft. wide road surrounded by tall, tall trees......many overhanging the road. In one of my more panicked moments it did occur to me that this might not be the worst way "to go".......some of the greatest moments of peace I've ever felt have taken place walking that road..........but then I jumped into "survival" mode again. We ran to a low place on the road and just sort of huddled together and in a few minutes it was all over. Pictured above is the "huddling place" ! On the way home the guys from the trailer park down the road...... and who drive by me everyday.......drove up to me and asked if I was OK...... they came looking for me when the lightening started. I don't even know their names ......I've never spoken to them before......we always just wave as they go by. Country roads........country neighbors.......I so love my life.

No comments: