Sunday, April 27, 2008

More Lilac!


Okay, okay.....you all must be sick of my little botanical tour of Lupine Hill! In my defense it's been a great Spring for all things flowering........which brings me to wild California Lilac! This awesome shrub is indigenous to the foothills here in California...and we happen to have a gorgeous specimen right here in our front yard. The deer.....of which we have hundreds....love it,but the lilac seems to love to fight back! I've read many years ago in my Girl Scout days that by rubbing the blossoms in your hands with water you can create suds, but I haven't had much luck with this bush......maybe I'm expecting too much!......I'll just enjoy the deep blue blossoms!

Jim's out planting tomatoes and eggplant in the garden....my mouth is already watering. It's warm enough today that it feels like they could be ripening any time soon...however, the outlook for next week talks about more frost and cool days. We've used so much firewood this year it feels good to conserve what's left, but maybe only a few more weeks of wood fires. I guess I could put on real shoes instead of sandals....maybe use a sweater.....but Hey, I'm a California Girl now!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

I love your blog. How fun! My lilacs are still in the bud phase. I can't wait till they bloom.

jilljen said...

My lilacs haven't started blooming either, but not too much longer. I can't wait for warm weather!