Monday, March 21, 2011

Wind, Snow and the Flu !


So much for the exciting weekend I'd anticipated......Mother Nature had other plans !! I know, with all the chaos and loss of life in the world right now I really have no complaints about our little neck of the world........but still.......it was a little disappointing. Everything started out just fine on Friday morning. I'd felt a little sick the day before, but it seemed like maybe I was winning the war with the virus. Jim had taken the day off and we planned a day of easy going adventure , topped with a nice dinner out and a Celtic band show in Grass Valley. The first few hours were wonderful. The weather was not great, but we settled for exploring from within our car and with that in mind we turned down every little country road that struck our fancy. We enjoyed some beautiful country, inspiring little farms and ranches and ended up in Wheatland......home of my ancestors !........and enjoyed a great cheeseburger at a little roadside joint there. After lunch we headed back down the road, turning N.E. , heading toward Grass Valley. It was about then that I realized I was losing my war with the virus ......however , I was still excited about the concert. As we were driving we notice all the cars coming down had snow on them.......bad sign ! As we got closer to Grass Valley, sure enough, it started dumping !! We narrowly avoided ending up in a ditch.......good work little Subie....and Jim ! By the time we got into town we know that between the snow and my cough that we just want to get home ! It took us about 2 hours to get from Grass Valley to our house, usually about a 45 minute drive and then when we were so close........the road was blocked with morons who had tried to drive...... without 4-wheel..... up a big hill by our house and so they were all stuck in the middle of the road and nobody could go anywhere !! So......we ended up leaving our car and walking the last mile home .......in wet, heavy snow a foot deep ........and ,of course, I'm wearing my sandals [now who's the moron!] ,by then fever has struck and I'm shivering uncontrollably !! With my love's help I make it home .......so grateful to be there !!
Saturday....more snow.....more fever .......no electricity !! I was too out of it to care much and kind of wandered from the bed to the sofa all day.
Sunday was the day we'd planned our music-fest up here.......long story short we ended up calling the whole thing off ! Weather was still horrible, I was still sick, Ross was sick.......just didn't seem like a great day for getting together !
The good news is that I think all the enforced time with nothing to do but rest that I recovered pretty fast, because today I feel human ! The weekend sure didn't go as planned........but, boy.......we all know things can go a whole lot worse !

No comments: